Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Of haws and thorns

Has the Natural History Museum identified your parasite yet?

My commute to work is generally spent chatting to my fellow car sharers

How's the knitting?
Do you want to talk a three hour lunch break today to walk to the Crowmarsh Battle Barns?

But recently I've been distracted by searching the hedgerows for a sign.

I'm looking for the tiny spots of acid green that means the hawthorn is coming out. If the hawthorn is starting to grow that means spring is just around the corner.

Hawthorn is one of my favourite things in the world.
It's green leaves are a joy to see in the otherwise brown hedgerows. Not to mention you can eat the young leaves, they make a great addition to salads and are one of the earliest spring wild foods to be found. Now that sounds like an excellent sign of spring to me.

We're nearly out of the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment